Monday, August 10, 2009

Patadakal

Patadakal is mindbogglingly and sheer poetry in stone. I was torn between photographing the structures and admiring it. The temple architecture represented here boast of both The Nagara and the Vesara style, adopted by later dynasty like the Rastrakutas, the Hoysala the Kalyani Chalukyas etc.
Sheer poetry is required to describe these structures and I am no poet. I hope the photographs speak for themselves.

The Entire Complex with various styles of Architecture


A closer look

The Virupaksha, Sangameshwara temples, the Chalukyan kings being shaivates, all the temples here are dedicated to Shiva.


The nandi as always present in front of the Virupaksha

2 comments:

Kannada Cuisine said...

Ah! Patadakal... One place that has been on my list forever..Wonder when I will get to visit the place.
You are so right, the architecture has a lyrical quality to it...

Sudhir R said...

I wanted to visit this probably since I was 10 years old. So it took 30 years. Aap ka time bhi aayega